Saturday, January 31, 2009

Peace

It took me a while to decide upon an appropriate title for this post but I think I stumbled across the perfect word to describe how I am feeling at this moment. My time thus far in Santiago, Chile has been absolutely fantastic. Maybe I haven't gone out a much as I would like to, and maybe the food isn't the typical cuisine that I am used to, but I would be a fool to let any of those things keep me from taking full advantage of the magnificent opportunity my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ has given me. As I sit here now and stress about the mid-terms that I have coming up, I just think about all the people around the world who lost a loved one today, or those people who lost their job, or their sanity. I think about poor brothers and sisters on every continent who struggle to muster the strength to get out of bed to face another day. With all of these thoughts in mind, it is hard not to be at peace with the many blessings that I have. I am a junior at Stanford University. I have a job lined up for the summer. I have a group of friends and family who love me unconditionally, I have a Heavenly Father who will never leave my side, and I have my sanity and peace of mind. What more can a gal ask for.


Yesterday, I was really stressed and feeling down about the plight of our planet. I shed tears for the indigenous communities that have had their land stolen from them and have been left to fend for themselves. I shook my head in anger at the fact that in a nation that just elected its first African-American president, there are 0 Black sitcoms on prime time television. I questioned my worth and asked myself why I hadn't ever tried to develop a music talent to take my mind to another place in difficult times. After all of this thinking, I almost settled for a journal entry until I decided that if I want to see any change in my life and the lives of those around me, I would have to do something about the things that bother me. So from this I decided that I am going to start a not for profit organization for indigenous peoples in the Americas. Or at least that is where I will start. The aim of this organization will be to teach financial literacy to indigenous communities and promote participation in regional economic systems. In my opinion education, financial literacy, and hope are the three main ingredients necessary to overcome oppression. I know I may be simplifying the matter a bit, but I just need to quantify things somehow so that I can have a more measured means by which to attack this problem that I can not bare to see any longer. In this same manner I decided that I would write to BET and other networks expressing my frustration with the job that they are doing portraying my people.Finally, I decided that I was going to teach myself how to play the guitar.

I know this is a lot of things I decided in one day but you know I am not getting any younger and I have a set amount of time to accomplish all of my goals. Why should I wait? I know that I was put on this earth to bring hope, love, and wisdom to those around me and that's what I intend to do in whatever way that I can for as long as I live.


I know this is a bit deep, but you know... I can't help it.


Peace, Love, and Obama.

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl!

    I'm so proud of you! It's great to see how far you're coming & I know you're going to go even further. Your idea for what you want to do sounds great!

    Have you heard of Kiva? (http://www.kiva.org/)It helps with the financial side of things in underdeveloped countries.

    Your other goals are great too! It's liberating to actually DO something about issues that bother you.

    Good luck with it all & hope you're having a great time in Chile! Keep in touch. :)

    ReplyDelete