Saturday, January 31, 2009

My Vida in Santiago [ Installment Uno]

Hello Loved Ones,

After spilling my guts a bit I figured I needed to give you an actual update on what my life has been like for the last month all most. Well I will begin by saying that Santiago is a city rich in history and culture. The city has been on the rise from the dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet for years now. It is interesting to walk around the city and see buildings laced with graffiti with political charged messages and such, something I have never experienced in the States. It is easy for one to confuse Santiago for a big American city because it is very Americanized with its KFC, Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and Burger King, but don't let this fool you! My experiences have been informed by the fact that I live in a very trendy part of the city near downtown. There are many parts of Santiago that are more rural, and what one might expect from a South American city. I love it all. I walk to school everyday and I tell you this has been an experience as I am starred at because I am black. And I mean starred at. Men, women, boys, and girls will stop in the middle of a conversation to stare at me. They whistle. They say whatever they want. Everything! I am really like a celebrity here but hey they don't really have any people here of African descent so I am a rare commodity. If only men in the US though this too lol....

Anywho what else... Our center is amazing! I am taking 4 classes this quarter ( Human Genetics: Diversity in Individuals and Populations, Artistic Expression in Latin America (taught in Spanish), Spanish 12S ( Spanish), and a Spanish tutorial. ) It is all pretty chill. I am learning so much. Although I have been a bit intimated by the Spanish language during my time here, I must say that I am getting more comfortable and learning to express myself better which is always a good thing.

I am making new friends! I am traveling all over Chile and Argentina. I have plans to go to Buenos Aires for my 21st birthday on Valentine's Day and then Brazil the first week of March so that should be totally awesome.

Ummmm... I don't know what else to say right now because I forget details easily but alls I know is that I am one blessed child of God and I have so many things to be happy about. I am learning more about myself and the things that are important to me and it is the best feeling that I have ever had. I do not plan for my life to ever be the same.

I hope you stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment